Sunday 12 April 2020

An Easter Reflection

Many people have said to me that Good Friday was so different this year- it certainly was! Yet this year, with its desolation, I cannot help but feel that our emotions are not so far from those of the people closest to Jesus. Like them we feel at times that the world is caving in. 

Easter gives us a powerful picture of God transforming the most desperate of situations. The wrongly executed Jesus is raised and hope abounds in our world. For me the effect of this victory over death and despair takes me back to when I watched The Lion King. Simba's annointing transforms a grey, sterile landscape into a world that is both colourful and vibrant. During this difficult time I encourage you to look to the God who loves us and is alongside us. As so many young people are reminding us, it is in the darkest hour that we can be surprised and given renewed hope through the rainbow.

I am aware that there is a lot of anxiety at present- I share it! This is indeed a time to hold each other up and to offer encouragement. We have to get through this together. 

Each Sunday during this crisis we encourage you to bring the situation to God in prayer. Join with other Christians at 7pm by praying and perhaps even lighting a candle in the window- a sign of hope.

In the days ahead may we be grateful for those who are often sacrificially trying to help us through this situation. May we also value each other and exercise self compassion to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment